Wat Si Muang | Adventure Laos

Wat Si Muang

Wat Si Muang

Wat Si Muang or Simuong is a Buddhist temple in Vientiane, the capital of Laos, built in 1563. Located near the eastern entrance to the city centre, on the road leading from the Friendship Bridge to Thailand, the small temple was built on the ruins of a Khmer Hindu shrine, the remains of which can be seen behind the ordination hall. It is open from 6.a.m. to 19.p.m every day. Indochina travel Vietnam

Wat Si Muang

Wat Si Muang

The temple is known for giving luck and fortune, and many people come from near and far to pray and receive blessings from the monks. Several variations of the legend behind the temple abound, but according to to local legend, when the temple was being built in 1563,a young pregnant woman named Si sacrificed herself by jumping into a hole in the ground where the building’s central pillar was to be placed and a pillar was built over her body. It is believed her spirit guards Wat Si Muang. Laos travel packages

Many people come from near and far to pray and receive blessings from the monks

Many people come from near and far to pray and receive blessings from the monks

The Khmer temple or originating Khemer is just a square pillar on the inside of Wat Si Muang, called lak muang, adorned by a statue of Buddha. The pillar itself is located in the rear hall, and is believed to date from the Khmer period, indicating the site has been used for religious purposes for more than 1000 years. Today it is wrapped in sacred cloth, and in front of it is a carved wooden stele with a seated Buddha in relief.

A statue of Buddha

A statue of Buddha

The temple Wat Si Muang differs in structure and composition with respect to the rest of temples in Vientiane. While most Buddhist chapels are a single large room, Wat Muang is composed of 2 rooms, in the first room of Wat Muang is frequent to meet with monks who blessed the faithful, in the second room, located at the end of the temple, have the pillar of the temple that serves as the altar, which takes up almost the entire room.

On a wedge of land formed the the merging of two streets in front of the temple stands a huge statue of King Sisavang Vong. The French-installed King ruled over Laos from 1904 to 1959 during World War II and, somewhat reluctantly, the country’s independence after the war.

Travel lovers.

Read more:

Leave a Reply